Páginas

miércoles, 15 de junio de 2016

2016 NBA free agents: Does Dwight Howard make sense for Miami Heat?

While the Heat have said publicly their top priority this offseason is re-signing center Hassan Whiteside, they certainly are making a list of contingency plans in case that doesn’t happen.
One man who probably isn’t on that list? Dwight Howard.
Howard’s talent has always been enticing and his skillset would make him a decent fallback should Whiteside leave, but the combination of age and salary makes this a nonstarter for Miami. Assuming Howard declines his player option for next season, he will become a free agent July 1 and is likely looking for one more giant contract. Someone will give it to him, but it probably won’t be the Heat.
Whiteside, who is four years younger, outplayed him last season (not by a ton) and probably won’t cost as much. Howard would make $23.3 million by opting in with the Rockets next season, so it’s difficult to picture him taking less than that as a starting salary on this summer’s free agency deal.
Howard has been working to bolster his image after leaving a bad impression on each of his three teams. His exit in Orlando was as ugly as it gets, leaving the Lakers wasn’t far behind and he’s taken plenty of criticism in Houston.
“I’m always interested in winning,” he told TNT. “There’s been times I’ve been upset and I’ve taken myself out of games and situations. That’s on me. I have to go and be a better player at that. I’m always interested in the game. People say I smile too much. I play too much on the floor. So when I’m not smiling, it looks like I’m not interested in the game.”
Howard averaged 13.7 points, 11.8 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game last season — all of which were among his three worst seasons. The only way he makes sense for the Heat is if he’s willing to sign a short, modest deal with the intent of re-proving himself and trying to land a huge contract in 2017 or ’18, but that seems highly unlikely.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario